Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Staying Healthy While Traveling

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I will be traveling this week for work to the great state of Ohio. Unfortunately not to Cleveland or Cincinnati where I have my people, but Columbus is a pretty good city too! My best friend is able to come down and spend Saturday afternoon and evening with me, so I'm pretty pumped about that :)


I will be there for a golf coach training, so at least it will be an active week in that sense, but I know better than to think it will be easy to stay on track.

Luckily, my hotel does have a small fitness room and indoor pool. I'm not hopeful that I can do laps in the pool, but I'm bringing my swimsuit just in case. I have been enjoying running outside and the weather in Ohio is going to feel so cool compared to Florida. It should be magical! I have used MapMyRun to look at the neighborhood my hotel is in and found a good 2.5 mile loop.

It should be easy enough to maintain the body weight/circuit training I have been doing. I wrote about it in full here, but here is the visual for a quick reminder.


Hotel gyms usually have a small selection of hand weights and if not, I can still get in a decent work out without them.

I think I have a handle on the fitness, but the food part should be interesting... There is continental breakfast at the hotel and lunch is provided each day at the training. That's a lot of meals out of my control! My work is a bit strict on what they reimburse me for, but it might be worth buying my own breakfasts if they are going to help me start the day off right. I will do my best with what is provided for lunch and that will have to set the tone for what I can have for dinner.

I have made sure to pack my own supply of snacks, that can also serve as a breakfast if needed. I have my favorite KIND bars (dark chocolate cherry cashew, seriously they are like a candy bar), trail mix from whole foods, dried chili mango from Trader Joes and a couple GoPicnics. I won't have any excuse to eat a generic bagel for breakfast or a bag of chips with lunch!

I have been doing a lot of research on restaurants in Columbus and while I want to make sure to explore and try new things, it's important to stay on track. I have been looking at a lot of farm-to-table restaurants and making sure I at least have a couple of healthy options. It is the absolute worst when you get to a restaurant and realize you basically HAVE to order ONE dish, because everything else is fried! This has totally happened to me before, so I know I need options.

Here are a few places I have scoped out:
  • Wolf's Ridge Brewing - They have a kale salad with grilled peaches and goat cheese that sounds like the perfect beginning to dinner. Then I plan to move on to their thai snapper with pineapple salsa and cilantro rice.
  • North Star Cafe - Their shredded chicken citrus salad sounds good with a peanut dressing. They have a handful of other yummy things if I can watch what I eat the rest of the day too.
  • The Sycamore - While there entrees sound amazing, I might have to try a few smaller things here. Grilled prawns, salmon ceviche, gazpacho and arugula salad with beet vinaigrette just to name a few.

As I mentioned, I'm excited to see my best friend on Saturday (she is one of my bridesmaids)! She is also doing the same DietBet as me and actually introduced me to it, so we will both have that incentive to stay on track. Our plan is to do a lot of walking/exploring/shopping and have a nice dinner.

Wish me luck on staying healthy this trip! Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, but let's keep it positive please!