Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Weekend Filled with Fitness & Food

I had a pretty great weekend and feel like J and I did exactly what we wanted to do, with no hassles. This was nice, considering I am going to be traveling the rest of this week!

We did a lot of cooking this weekend, and I neglected to take photos of half of it! Must get better at this whole blog thing...

We have been trying to get our house organized, because we just have so much stuff. I don't even know where it all comes from! As we have been cleaning and organizing, J brought me home flowers to make the space pretty. I really think it helps to brighten a room and it brings me joy, so that's good enough for me :)

Friday night we cooked Indian food for the first time and it turned out pretty good. Granted, I bought a bottle of tikka masla sauce and naan bread, so I only really "cooked" chicken and brown rice. But the spices were spot on and it was a nice comfort meal at the end of a long week.


Saturday, we attempted to catch the Georgia v South Carolina game out, but with delays we left early. While we were at the sports bar, we had lunch and a beer. I managed to stay within my calorie range that day, which was a nice feeling. A bar close to our house actually has a good menu with a handful of good options if you don't want fried food. I definitely appreciate this! We also grilled out on Saturday night and it all turned out amazing! BBQ wings from Whole Foods, corn on the cob and wedge salads with homemade ranch dressing I made from greek yogurt. It was all very fresh, with some of the produce even from a farmer's market. I wish we had the time to cook like this every night.

Before we fired up the grill, we decided to go for a bike ride since the heat had cooled off dramatically (for Florida). This was more of a leisurely ride, but still good to be active before we ate a big meal!

While we had the grill out, I seasoned and grilled chicken breasts for salads this week, as well as put on extra corn. Our salads this week for lunch consist of:
  • Grilled chicken
  • Grilled corn off the cob (farmer's market)
  • Grape tomatoes (farmer's market)
  • Cucumbers (farmer's market)
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Goat cheese
  • Homemade hummus dressing
Sunday, we made a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and toast. Sometimes it is nice not to over-think breakfast! I also made pumpkin chai lattes at home with a new frothing tool I got at World Market. It was so easy to warm up the almond milk in a small pot and then get a nice foam on it with the little gadget. I need to work on making the chai strong enough next time. When you order chai at Starbucks, they use a chai concentrate, so I'm used to that stronger taste. But it was still delicious and guilt free at only 30 calories.

J and I were feeling really lazy, but knew we needed to get a high-intensity work out in. I had every intention of following this Killer Kardio routine I mentioned last week, but it was a little TOO intense for us once we started, so I modified it to the below workout. It was still heart-pumping and made me realize that I have a long way to go with my fitness! My body has definitely gotten used to running, so I thought I could handle this cardio, but my body told me otherwise. 2 days later and my calf muscles are still SO sore - limping is a good look, right?


Sunday night we made baked tilapia with Caribbean jerk spices and paired that with goat cheese mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Simple and satisfying... a good way to end the weekend.

How was your weekend? What have you been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, but let's keep it positive please!