Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Prepping For My Week [pork roast]

Once a month there is a farmer's market at my work and I'm like a kid on Christmas every. single. time. I'm sure with a little more effort, I could find more markets like this on a regular basis, but I'm lazy!

This week, I decided to stick to buying produce. When I buy fresh pasta, bread, eggs, etc. that's when I end up spending $40 and that's just not going to work for my budget. I ended up buying:
  • giant carrots
  • new potatoes
  • red and yellow onions
  • sweet mini peppers
  • radishes
  • yellow tomatoes
  • and I feel like I'm forgetting one thing...

When produce is fresh, I am perfectly happy with vegetarian meals. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers with salt and pepper - yes please! On Sunday we had some tomato mozzarella pasta salad I whipped together and ate cucumber slices and radishes on the side with a little hummus and laughing cow cheese. It was so fresh, it made me feel like it was springtime! Maybe the 85 degree weather had something to do with that too... thanks Florida.

I really wanted to make a roast with all of those veggies, so when we went to the newly opened Trader Joe's in Jacksonville Beach (which I am completely pumped about) we were on the hunt for either a whole chicken, turkey breast or pork loin. We ending up going with a black pepper - garlic pork loin and it turned out pretty good!


I have to say roasts are not the most photogenic of meals, but it was warm, flavorful and hearty! I did 2 big spoonfuls of veggies and 2 slices of pork per serving along with a side salad - and I was stuffed. I plan to start with a smaller serving tonight. I estimated my measurements for everything in MyFitnessPal and it looks like one big serving is about 450 calories. Not too shabby for a very filling and nutritious meal!


I think next time I will play with the sauce component of this and maybe try some sweet potatoes or butternut squash for a more fall flavor profile. Perhaps throw in some maple syrup to round it out! Knowing how much my fiance and I eat, this meat should last us for 5 servings, but the veggies will last a little longer. If we have too many veggies, I could always dice them up a little more, add some broth and chicken, and make some soup!

What are you cooking this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, but let's keep it positive please!