Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Prepping for My Week [leftovers]

J and I renewed our BJ's Wholesale membership last week and I'm so glad we did! We had it in North Carolina too and I really feel it saves us money and helps us plan our meals.

Last week we stocked up on some essentials and bought the stuff for my Mediterranean salads. Sometimes we end up spending more money at a place like BJ's, but everything lasts so much longer - - I still have veggies, chicken, eggs, sweet potatoes and more from last week. It's nice not to have to do a big shopping trip this week. I think that is one of the benefits of food preparation - - it makes your life easier!


My plan this week is to use up as much of what we have as possible, before stocking up again. Here's what I have a lot to work with:
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Chicken (both shredded, diced and frozen breasts)
  • Feta
  • Mozzarella (ball, not shredded)
  • Broccoli
  • Sweet potatoes

I usually love hard boiled eggs sliced with salt and pepper, but for some reason this week it just doesn't sound appealing. Time to get creative! I have some turkey bacon, grape tomatoes and the leftover chicken, so I'm thinking about a Classic Cobb Salad with a few healthier modifications. I can use up my extra eggs, chicken and feta all in one fell swoop!


I think I will need to go old school and make an egg salad sandwich/wrap for lunch one day this week too. A local diner makes their egg salad sandwich with sliced tomato and bacon, so I may have to copy that.

I just saw this recipe for Grilled Veggie Towers with Mozzarella over on SkinnyTaste and if J will fire up the grill this week, I see this in our future. I can't think of anything more delicious right now then melted mozzarella (cheese is a close second to hummus for me)!


We have been really chicken heavy the last couple weeks, so I will need to break down and head to the grocery store for some steak or fish and have that with some steamed broccoli and sweet potato chips. J loves that kind of simple meal, and I will not complain about a steak or salmon night!

I have finally perfected baked sweet potato chips, so I need to share the wealth! I use a mandolin to slice my potatoes and actually use this for a lot of vegetables. I found mine for less than $10 at Marshall's or TJMaxx and it's worth the small investment. I like to slice my potatoes fairly thin, but not paper thin where you can see through them. I then spray them with olive oil cooking spray and season (on both sides). Typically I do salt, pepper and Old Bay, but sometimes I mix it up with cinnamon sugar and ground chili peppers. I have found that the best way to get them cooked through, crispy and not too burnt is to cook them low and slow. About 30 minutes at 350 and then on broil for a few minutes at the end (watching them very closely so they don't turn black). They are great on their own or dipped in whatever you have on hand.

Any favorite meals you like to make with leftovers? What did you prep this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, but let's keep it positive please!